It has been a while since I've updated...life gets busy here in the hospital believe it or not :). Lots of visitors, medical personnel, laps to walk, and books to read. I've been thinking about what to document here for the past couple of days and the same themes keep coming to mind - trials, God's overwhelming presence, faith, prayer, joy and miracles. I know, a lot of things to touch on in one post, but I'm going to try. As I had shared a few posts ago, my hospitalization here at City of Hope was supposed to be the toughest part of my battle against cancer yet...and I'd have to say physically it has been tough. Most of the medications I received prior to coming here, I tolerated pretty well. My worst side effects were fatigue and headache. The chemotherapy I have been given in the last week - not so forgiving. The doses they had to give me to "hit" my bone marrow hard enough were very high. So yes, the word "trials" comes to mind. The amazing thing about it though is the light, momentary affliction has been just that...momentary. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning (Psalm 30:5). Every morning I have woken up refreshed and renewed, despite how I may have gone to bed feeling.

And the Lord's overwhelming presence has been felt on a daily basis! He has brought me to tears several times just because of how gracious He has been to me. The day of my stem cell transplant (April 3), my nurse practitioner prayed an amazing prayer of protection and love over me. Her prayer was exactly what I needed. The medical team has been really good about preparing me for possible side effects and how the "typical" recovery looks for people who undergo this whole process. What's kind of humorous is they dont tell you everything because they dont want to make you nervous. Guess you need a balance right?! :). What's even more humorous is my recovery has been anything but typical. I have been able to walk about 1 1/2-2 miles a day and not feel tired. When the nurses and physicians have told me that I'm not gonna want to feel like getting out of bed - I have had more energy than ever. When I'm not supposed to have an appetite - I'm eating hamburgers and breakfast burritos. That's why I say miracles continue :). I've been praying that my recovery would be so miraculous that those looking in could only contribute it to the Lord.
One day I asked God why I had so much energy and felt so good? He answered, "Isn't that what you've been praying for?" Through this experience, in the trials, through the faith, in the prayers, the Lord has been consistent to answer loud and clear. He has taken over my heart and made it impossible for me not to respond out of complete surrender and sacrifice to Him. Nothing else matters. Nothing. God chooses to bless us with His presence and His Glory time and time again. We may not ever understand our trials this side of heaven - but one thing is clear! He is here with us and He wants us to pursue him and experience his joy and LOVE.
C.S. Lewis writes in his book The Pursuit of God, "No careless or casual dealings will suffice. Let Him come to God fully determined to be heard. Let him insist that God accept his all, that He take things out of his heart and Himself reign there in power. It may be he wil need to become specific, to name things and people by their names one by one. If he will become drastic enough, he can shorten the time of his travail from years to minutes and enter the good land long before his slower brethren who coddle their feelings and insist upon caution in their dealing with God."


Alisha, your positive attitude is amazing! I think my favorite story in the Bible is of Lazarus. Jesus didn't act until it would be clear that only by his might and glory was Lazarus raised from the dead. If he had been healed, or even raised sooner, the large crowd would not have been there to witness the beautiful, powerful work of God. I am praying that this same awesome power will be displayed in your life and that all who see will know it could only have come from him.
ReplyDeleteIt is wonderful to know you are doing well and I continue to pray for you!
Karen
Thank you for sharing and for your prayers Karen!
DeleteAgain, God's glory is revealed through your testimony of His love and care for you. Sweet days with Him that you'll never forget and will forever shape other's image of Him. Thank you for your blog. Continuing to pray for you daily.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post and for your prayers Tammy!
ReplyDeleteI love your writings. You, truely are an inspiration to us all. Youre Army of Purple continue to battle for a cure...and send you positive thoughts and prayers. Xoxo
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! Team in Training is amazing! See the team soon hopefully! Xoxo
DeleteGod bless you as you press on in "the strength of His might" - praying for you, Alisha! Thank you for your beautiful post, Elaine Youngkin
ReplyDeleteThank you for your prayers Elaine! Its my pleasure to share my journey!
DeletePhil. 3:10, That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings,...
ReplyDeleteYou have known the fellowship of His sufferings and now the time has come for you to know the power of His resurrection!! That is my prayer for you, that you will continue to KNOW HIM!! I love & pray for you daily Alisha! Aunt Janet
Auntie Janet, His Power and glory have been amazingly revealed to me throughout this experience. Thank you so much for your continued prayers! I love you too! :)
Delete