Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 1 of Hospitalization - Hope Continues!


What is hope?  One definition describes it as "a sure steadfast confidence." A few synonyms are "expectation" or "promise." I have even read that hope is NOT a "fanciful wish." With that said...hope continues. As a medical professional myself, I have utmost confidence in the people who are working with me to battle this disease - BUT my hope remains in the Lord. He is the ultimate healer and my life is in His hands. I was brought to tears on Sunday as my pastor reminded me what the enemy intends for evil, the Lord intends for good. He will ultimately be glorified!

Today I was admitted to City of Hope National Medical Center. It's not a coincidence that the name of this state of the art, beautiful facility includes the word HOPE. All of the medical and ancillary personnel have been very welcoming and encouraging. My Dad and I saw my oncologist outside of the cafeteria today and she hurriedly ran over to see how I was doing. Afterward, my Dad said "You know, it seems like they really care here." I'd have to agree wholeheartedly.

My Dad and I were also able to walk the campus today (as I wanted to enjoy as much sunlight as possible before I'll be confined indoors) and enjoy the views. There is a couple of gardens, sculptures, wishing trees (which I like to call prayer trees), a hope house (chapel), and lots of greenery. I would've never survived being admitted at UCLA - way too much concrete! The abstract sculpture you see pictured at the top is named HOPE - fancy that :). I also made my contribution to the prayer trees as you can see. 

Although my last PET scan looked "fabulous" according to my oncologist, I still need to have more chemo...May not make sense, huh?! Well, since my disease didn't respond well to the first two chemo regimens I received last year but DID respond to the third one, it is standard treatment for me to have high dose chemo combined with a autologous stem cell transplant. This will help destroy any remaining cancer cells that may not have been identified on the PET scan. I have a sure steadfast confidence that the Lord will work miracles!


Over the next week I will be receiving chemo (5 out of 7 days). Then on Wednesday of next week (April 3) they will re-infuse stem cells that they harvested from me earlier this month.  In short, they are giving me chemo to reset my immune system and completely eradicate the Hodgkin's lymphoma. The stem cells help to rebuild my immune system by migrating into the bone marrow and working to build new white and red blood cells and platelets. Here's a good link: Autologous Stem Cell Transplant. As of now, I can still have visitors, so feel free to come see me! Just don't bring any colds or flus with you...and be prepared to wear a mask and gloves. They make you do that just for my entertainment :).




In summary, my first day here went well. Once I was admitted to my room, I proceeded to wipe down everything with antibacterial wipes! Although though the housekeeper had just cleaned the room, the nurse in me took over...GOTTA KILL the bugs!!! Haha, I thought it was quite comical. Then I took time to enjoy the view I have of the courtyard and mountains (yes!!) - the view that is an answer to prayer. Later on in the night, my nurse came in with 8 pills and I thought to myself "she must be in the wrong room!" Nope they were all for me. As I've shared before, it's definitely been a life-changing experience being on the other side as the patient and not as the nurse. I will carry my experiences from this battle as long as I live. This is but a small part of the journey, but it is an important one...
I LOVE YOU!
Thank you for your
 thoughts,
prayers,
and
encouragement!
You are a blessing to me!






1 comment:

  1. Hi Alisha,

    I hope you are doing well, we are praying for you.

    Love,
    Brian & Sheree

    ReplyDelete