Friday, February 10, 2012

First Treatment

Two weeks ago (January 27) I had my first chemotherapy treatment.  They pre-medicated me with Benadyl, Kytril, and Dexamethasone to help decrease the risk of allergic reaction and side effects such as nausea and vomiting.  I then had a total of four medications (Adriamycin, Bleomycin, Vinblastin, and Decarbazine), also known as the ABVD regimen.  Honestly, the anticipation of the chemotherapy was worse than the actual receiving of it.  I had looked up possible side effects and even blogs of people who had gone through ABVD, so I was fully informed of what "could" happen.  I was prepared but not really worried.  I FELT FINE throughout the session.  The first three medications were given to me IVP (iv push), which means the nurse had to use a syringe to administer them over 5-10 minutes each.  The fourth medication (Decarbazine) was slowly dripped into my IV over approximately 2 1/2 hours.  I did homework, read, ate food (if anyone knows me I LOVE TO EAT), drank water, and did a couple laps around the office with the IV pole.  I personally think there should be an indoor track and a balcony at the office :).  When the chemotherapy was done, my best friend Shawna and I went to eat at Panera Bread.  I'll have to admit that the food didn't taste the same as it usually does (cause of the chemo) but I coped with it.  The weekend went on and we were able to walk around Santa Monica pier and 3rd street promenade while listening to the street performers and enjoying the ocean.  We also completed a 4 mile hike in Pasadena (pretty flat, not too challenging).  Granted, we took 3 hour naps following these activities but my fatigue wasn't too bad.  The biggest thing was a nagging headache and PREVENTION of nausea.  I took Tylenol and Zofran and drank lots of water around the clock.  Later in the week I braved through hours of lecture at UCLA and worked 24 hours of light duty (2 twelve hour night shifts).

Last Sunday, I completed the Surf City half-marathon with my good friends Amanda, Lisa, and Michael.  I had signed up many months ago before I knew I had cancer.  Although my energy level is no where near where it used to be I've tried to remain active as it actually lessens my fatigue.  Thank you to those who have kept me motivated by running along my side!  I took it easy during the race - as I've learned to listen to my body when it tells me to slow down - but nonetheless I completed it!!  It felt sooooo great to not only run the race but to cross that finish line.  There was one man that especially motivated me.  He had weakness on the left side of his body from a previous stroke.  I could tell that he was struggling through most of the race but he pressed on and on and on.  Think about it - 13.1 miles!!  I love seeing people who persevere through difficulty.  It can be easy to give up when things are tough - but rewards only come if you keep going!  Did I feel tired during the race?  Yes.  Did I think that maybe a half marathon was a bit much?  Yes.  Was it completely worth it when I saw the finish line?  Yes, yes yes!!  Again, this race was a great reminder of the journey that we're all on.  Yes I'm going through chemotherapy.  Yes my life has completely changed.  BUT we are all on journeys.  We all have our own lives - lives that intertwine with many other lives.  We may have difficulties, frustrations, hills that we need to climb - BUT we all have BLESSINGS as well.  Focus on those.  Give to and receive from others.  Most importantly, PRESS ON.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment